August 28, 2013

Picking Up the Pieces

Often, yet unintentionally, we place our lives into the hands of others. This is true in relationships, jobs, and other areas of our lives. We don't realize how content we are with something until it's snatched from our grasps. I'm usually a very private person. I've decided to share this journey I've found myself on because there's plenty of women, well people in general, facing some of the same obstacles I'm facing.



On Friday August 23, 2013, I woke up in a good -GREAT- mood. I ironed my kids school clothes, packed lunches and headed off to work. Usually, I hated getting off at 3p.m, those days seemed to go by so slow. However, it was Friday, payday, and my 8 day vacation was starting on Sunday, August 25. This day was going to be awesome, right?

I returned from my one hour lunch break about 1:30 and my manager informed me that she and I had to go and meet with the Human Resource Manager. "OH SHIT!" was what came to mind, because going to H.R was NEVER good. Still, I didn't panic. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong. When we sat down with the H.R manger, she didn't waste anytime. Before my mind left the meeting I heard, "company downsizing" "we've decided to lay you off" and "effective immediately". "WOW" was all I had managed to choked up. Can they do this? No two week, hell three day, notice? Just "I need your badge!" To say I was befuddled would be an understatement. I know you're thinking "At least you'll get unemployment." Right? WRONG! I need a job. I'm a single parent, school had just started two weeks ago, I was practically broke. Christmas is in a few months, I needed a plan... A.S.A.P! I knew two things for sure, 1) I had given my job far too much control over my life and 2) this shit would NEVER happen to me again.

Only those close to me knew what I was dealing with. Over the weekend, I debated if I should share my experience with my peers. People are mean and so judgmental. Of course, I'm going to apply for unemployment, apply for jobs, etc... but I think now is the perfect time for me to follow my dreams. What is there to lose? I don't know what it is God have planned for my future but I know it has to be better than what I've been through in the past. My faith and my pride won't let me beat myself up about it. Besides, "tears ain't never paid no bills" (that's what I grandmother said once).

I hope this journey inspire others to pursue their dreams because I know God isn't going to fail me. He doesn't close one door without preparing another for us to walk through.... Oh, want to know that "DREAM" of mines I'm speaking on.... STAY TUNED!

xoxo,
The Unemployed Dreamer

No comments:

Post a Comment