October 17, 2013

Struggle Breeds Stength

As a child, I never thought about what occupation I wanted to pursue until I wrote my first story called The Magic Unicorn in fifth grade. Ms. Davenport told me my vivid imagination would make me rich. Growing up, we imagine so much for our lives, not anticipating all the roadblocks and delays we’ll come across. As we get older, we notice that this thing call life is anything but easy and there’s absolutely no way to prepare for all of the storms that’ll come our way. However, I've learned that no matter how bad things get, nothing and no one is going to stop and wait for you to catch up.


 I remember someone telling me once, “The very thing that makes you happy, will kill you.” For me, that THING, is pride. My pride is my strongest, yet weakest attribute. Sometimes I think if I had simply asked for help, my situation wouldn't have gotten so bad. We live in a society where we're ridiculed for seeking assistance and because of this, my egotism wouldn't allow me to consider help. Then when things got so bad that I didn't have a choice but to put my pride aside, it dawned on me that when people say, “Call me if you need anything,” they really mean it until you actually need something. The same people whom I’d give a vital organ to without thinking twice, were the main ones enjoying my downfall. The truth is, they don't care if I'm doing good or bad, as long as I'm not doing better than they are. These people, they don't owe me anything though so I wasn't mad, just utterly shocked.

This struggle, it’s my own. Most people blame God when they're facing trouble because they tend to misinterpret the Bible. While I take full responsibility for all of my wrongdoings and bad choices regardless of my intentions, I do believe God has equipped me with the tools necessary to survive this journey. I pray daily, some days all I do is pray. I asked for guidance and strength but the tears, frustration, and depression demonstrates lack of faith. So I decided to stop crying and instead, smile and dream because I, of all people, have seen God work. I've witnessed Him turn messes into miracles. The only thing I need right now is faith and patience.

Today, struggle show a sign of weakness but it is our greatest teacher. Struggle humbles, inspires, and builds us up. Everything I’ve been through has strengthened me for what’s to come. I’m designed to be nothing short of great so I laugh at those who've counted me out because they don't realize what an inspiration they are. All of their doubting encourages me to move forward. If you think about it, there’s far more people rooting for you than not, but you can't see them because they aren't the ones you WANT to be cheering you on.

By no means am I offering you advice, I'm in no predicament to do so. I'm simply saying, troubles don't always last. It may get worse before it gets better but if you trust and believe within the depths of your soul that God has a divined plan for your life, you'll start to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. As your faith grows, that light will get bigger and the voices of the doubters and non-believers will silence. Then you'll grow wings and fly, just as the magic unicorn did.


Trust your struggle, for it is within our struggles that we breed the strength required to be boundless and extraordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment