November 3, 2013

Missing Trey

When I met Trey, I was involved. The guy I was dating had me on an emotional roller coaster. When it was good, it was great but when it was bad, it was ugly. There were days I didn’t know if I was coming or going. Foolishly in love, I had settled for whatever it was this man and I had. After standing by silently and allowing me to cry on his shoulder for months, Trey said, “Why do you keep letting him put you through that? Give me a chance to show you how you deserve to be treated?” The following week we went on a date and became practically inseparable. Slowly, this other guy was becoming a distant memory. Trey was like a knight in shining armor, rescuing me from myself. He treated me with the utmost respect and taught me how to treat a man. Everything was fresh and fun. We had petty arguments like all couples but nothing felt forced, it just flowed.


Tuesday, May 10th – Trey decided he’d go down to Tallahassee to spend a few days with his mother and grandmother so he’d be home in Atlanta with me on Sunday (Mother’s Day). I felt like it should’ve been the other way around, but after a brief disagreement, he won. I had just started a new job so us taking the trip together wasn’t an option. That night, I stayed the night at his place because he’d be leaving the following day. We were up all night talking about everything. I told him I believed he was brought into my life to teach me how to be loved. He gave me a promise ring and told me I deserved a man like him, one who loved me and treated me like a queen. Then he made me promise to never settle like I did with the guy before him.

Wednesday, May 11th – While I showered to prepare for work, Trey snuck out to get my favorite oatmeal from McDonalds. After dropping me off at work and kissing me Good-Bye, he headed for Tallahassee, who knew that would be the last kiss? Throughout the day we laughed and joked about how he should’ve gotten me a baby-sitter and how he had better not let his childhood friends get him into any trouble while he was away.
2:11 a.m. Thursday, May 12th – Trey’s ringtone, Leona Lewis’ ‘I Will Be’, emitted from my cellphone. I answered sleepily, “You missed your two o’clock curfew,” I joked

Then I heard “I’m sorry for calling you so late.”

It was Trey’s dad. Immediately sensing something was wrong, I began to panic. My mouth was suddenly dry and I couldn’t speak.

“Trey and his friends were struck by a drunk driver, Trey didn’t make it.”

Talk about an out-of-body experience! I heard him, but I couldn’t comprehend what he said. Within the next few hours two of my friends called, one with relationships problems, the other with car trouble. Never going back to sleep, I got up at six a.m. and went to work. I was emotionally numb. Why didn’t he go when I wanted him to? Nothing made sense to me, I couldn’t understand why God had given him to me, just to take him away. I knew better than to question God’s motive, I just didn’t understand. What Trey promised would be the best day in my life, turned out to be the worst. I was so angry, I couldn’t cry or talk about it, even at his funeral, I just fainted. One day in July, while at work, it hit me like a ton of bricks! He was never returning from Florida because some selfish idiot decided he was a better drunk driver than sober one. All of those tears I had been suppressing came at once. After that, every guy I met, I compared to Trey.

A year in a half later:

I learned some of the most important lessons about being a woman and love from Trey. He taught me that what one man doesn’t appreciate, another will. I learned how to be loved and how to let a man, be the man in the relationship. When his life was taken recklessly, I felt cheated out of my happily ever after. There isn’t a day goes by that he doesn’t cross my mind but I know everything happens for a reason so I’m blessed to have known him. Now that I know how to love and how to be loved, I’m ready. Not rushing, just blogging while waiting patiently for my Mr. Right.

I’m a relatively private person but I shared this because we don’t often appreciate people in our lives until it’s too late… Life’s short. Live, love, and laugh. I know that’s cliché but its REAL… True love exist and there’s a Prince Charming out there for all of us... Two if we're lucky!

Sincerely,

F.C. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss...I stopped believing in Prince Charming and started believing in myself. I think we can perfectly live with ourselves, without needing to search or wait for someone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. It took me a while to get to that place but I'm happy with being single. Prince Charming to me is a companion, someone who loves, encourages and motivates you. Tells you you're beautiful every morning and kisses you good night. We're human, we all want that. I'm not rushing... If I never have it again, I know I was blessed to experience True Love!

      Delete
    2. Sorry that that happened to you...and I'm were you were with the first guy. So, I can definitely relate to that. I know once I get rid of my dead weight my Trey will come around too.

      Delete
    3. Such an unhealthy place, don't wait for someone to come and remove you from that situation, just leave. I know that's easier said than done but you have to do what's best for yourself no matter how bad it hurts!

      Delete
  2. wow! Aint that real??! I too await.. I know one day he will be mine and me his!

    ReplyDelete