November 7, 2013

Reality TV... The New Poison



I think the first reality television show I watched was Laguna Beach then The Hills. Lauren Conrad was like Barbie to me, it seemed as if she had everything. Even back then, I wondered just how REAL these shows were because to a kid from the projects, their lives were perfect. I mean, they whined and cried because their dad took the keys to their Range Rovers while we worried about eating dinner or having clean clothes for school! I used to think “put us on MTV, we can show them ‘REALITY’!” Today, the only shows on nearly every television network at primetime is some reality series. My question is how does this affect us individually and as a community?

I’m sure you’re saying, ‘it’s only entertainment’, but is it? Women, teenagers, and little girls idolize the ladies on these shows attempting to imitate the way they talk, act, and dress. Everybody wants to be a part of the “IN” crowd to fit in not realizing this makes it impossible to stand out. Everywhere you look in Atlanta (this is where I live, but I’m sure several cities can relate) you’ll see butt shots and 30 inch weaves, everyone is a celebrity makeup artist or hairstylist. These shows have women chasing after rappers, producers, or athletes hoping to live lives similar to the women of Basketball Wives or Real Housewives of (insert your favorite here). Men worship Stevie J and Peter Gunz because they’re sleeping with numerous women so they lead women on to make themselves feel like ‘players’ or whatever your word of choice may be.

In the 60’s, heroin and dope were the poison in the black community, today its reality television and music videos. These shows are forcing us to believe we have to act or look a certain way to be accepted by society. Instead of saving for our kids’ college tuition and securing our future we’re damaging our credit to drive a C-class Mercedes that we can’t afford (not me, I drive a little Mazda… PROUDLY) and live in a neighborhood that’s beyond our means to impress friends and co-workers or to say we live near a celebrity. It’s okay to want nice cars and big houses, I do, but I don’t think these things should come at the expense of our children’s future or just to impress someone else. These shows are hindering us from becoming one because we see each other as competition instead of brother and sister. Not many are willing to lend a hand because no one wants to see someone doing better than them.

Do we blame the networks, producers, ‘characters’ or the viewers? I think everyone needs to take some type of responsibility for the damages reality TV shows and videos have produced. We all make a conscious decision to live the way we do, but the source of influence plays a major role whether we want to admit it or not. I have my favorites, like T.I. and Tiny, I love what they represent as a black family. Other shows, however, women are putting a dollar amount on their self-respect, their character, and their marriages. We’ve stooped as low as bringing these cameras into our church and places of worship. Even if it’s scripted, it’s sad to see how low one would stoop for money and fame. You have to wonder, is it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment